Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ottobre Skirt/Stash Reduction

I need a photo, but until I get the camera out, I'll just tell you what I made. I traced the pattern for an Ottobre skirt for me before Christmas. In an attempt to straighten things up for the holidays, house guests, wrapping table, etc. I misplaced the pieces. When I found them in plain sight the other day, I looked for a piece of fabric I could use as a wearable muslin, and I now have a new skirt!



I found the end of a piece of wool twill I'd used to make some dress slacks. I also needed lining, so I dipped into the cupboard and found this piece of silk charmeuse that I ordered from Fabric Mart at least 8 years ago. Hmmmm. Anyway, the skirt is a bit different with large slanted pleats at the hip and I really like it! The silk feels delicious on the inside. I didn't bring the magazine with directions with me (we are at our condo), so I just put it together in a way that made sense to me. Yippee, it worked. I put in the hem this morning in the car on the way to meet my sister and her SO at Disneyland. I really like the skirt and think it will be a good staple for my more casual wardrobe.



Ottobre sizing? I'm still not so sure I made just the right size. So--given my measurements, I am about 1/2 way between a 38 and a 40--so I just made the pattern by placing the marks between the 2 sizes on the pattern. I labeled the pieces a size 39 and am pleased. Could be a little more snug at the waist, but it is certainly wearable "as is."



Photo will be coming soon--maybe not till we are home and I can use the back fence for the photo studio!

No comments: