Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sewer's Block?

ETA -- here is an excellent tutorial on making hem vents!  http://buzzybeesworld.blogspot.com/



Have you even gotten stuck on the most simple element of a garment?  I could NOT figure out how to make the hem vent on a Style Arc Willow pant pattern--directions just say to "make the vee" and hem.  So, pants sat on the cutting table finished save the hem for a week or more.  Today I was looking through old Burda magazines searching for pants with a hem vent and hoping for some directions.  Eureka!  Not rocket science, but I needed the visual image and the construction marks on the Burda pattern.  I made two pairs of the Willow pants and love the fit.  I was unsure of what size to order since my measurements were not exactly one size and the SA patterns are single size.  I ordered a size 10 and added 3/4 inch to the side seams for added security.  I stitched up 3/4 inch seams rather than the 3/8 inch called for in the pattern.  Great fit!  The grey pair were my muslin--wearable bit no hem vent as I had to trim off an extra inch from the bottom.  Too long! The second pair in stretch twill from Michael Levines have the hem vents and they also fit well!  My camera is still missing so my phone photos are horrible, but they do document that sewing has been done here!

Other sewing projects have been sewn as well, but nothing that has not been seen before.  These are my TNT Loes Hinse Perfect Tee tops and Euro and Bilbao pants.  Love the ease and fit of these garments. 




No comments: